Saturday, July 16, 2011

My dad is uncomfortable with his ethnicity?

My dad is uncomfortable with being Caucasian. My Mom is Japanese, from Japan and my Dad has always been into the Asian culture. He met her when she was teaching Japanese and he was her student. I am super close with my family but sometimes my dad really gets on my nerves when he talks about me being Asian. I think he labels me as "asian" because that would mean both my parents are Asian. My dad is less than a quarter Native American, but he looks mostly White and we have nothing to do with the Native American culture. I feel like he's always pushing me to say I'm Asian, but I'm not. I'm mixed, and I wish he would understand that he can't change that. He always tells me "Be proud of being Asian" and I want to say "Be proud of being White dad!" Cause he should.I want him to be proud of what he is, not pretend he's something he's not. Could anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? I'm getting annoyed with him trying to convince me that I'm just asian... when I'm proud of all the bloods that make up who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment